If you have a scar that’s been bothering you, the therapists at Appling Healthcare Rehabilitation & Therapy in Baxley have some helpful tips on scar massage. Whether your scar came from an injury that led to surgery, a c-section to bring your baby into the world or an accident being handy around the house, this technique can be used on any scar.
Why scar massage is important:
- Decreases sensitivity
- Smoothes raised areas
- Softens scar area and breaks up scar tissue under the surface
When to massage:
- Two to three times per day for 10 minutes once the scar area is healed/closed.
- Continue for at least 6 months for optimal results
- Stop and consult a doctor if area becomes red, warm or looks infected
How to perform scar massage:
- Perform proper cleaning before/after with alcohol pad
- Use Vitamin E oil to help hydrate the area
- With two fingers, rub in circular motion, side to side motion, and up and down motion