Appling Healthcare’s patients reserve the right to have family and visitors during their hospital stay. Appling Healthcare will not deny any patient this right based on diagnosis. Patients and visitors must comply with hospital policies as stated below.
The purpose of this policy is to promote adequate opportunity for patient and family interaction, provide emotional support and comfort to both, and minimize significant interruptions in patient care activities during the day.
This policy applies to the Emergency Department, Medical-Surgical unit, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Senior Care Unit (SCU), Outpatient and Rural Health Clinics.
- Visitors are not permitted to congregate in public areas, such as lobbies, waiting areas, nurse stations, or visit other patients or staff.
- Visitors must remain in the room of the patient while they are visiting until visiting hours are over or when the visitor(s) are ready to leave the facility.
- Patients in isolation may require restrictions for visitation including limiting the number of visitors per day to one (1).
- Those who are visiting patients in isolation will be required to wear all necessary PPE while in the patient’s room.
- Visitors will be educated on how to appropriately don and doff PPE.
- During times of contagious outbreaks visitors may be screened for symptoms, required to wear certain PPE, and may be denied entry if uncooperative with hospital policies and procedures.
- One adult visitor or support person may accompany a patient in the Emergency Department.
- Two parents may accompany a pediatric patient. If parents are not present one caregiver over the age of 18 may accompany the patient.
- One healthy required medical decision-maker with adult patients who are unable to make decisions regarding care.
- Visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- These are subject to change at the discretion of the ED Charge Nurse or physician during emergent situations or unforeseen changes in patient’s condition.
- Visiting hours are from 8:00 am until 8:00pm, daily
- Two healthy adult visitors will be permitted to visit.
- Visitors under the age of 18 may visit with permission from the charge nurse and must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Visitation may be limited due to the patient’s condition and at the discretion of the charge nurse or nurse manager.
Intensive Care Unit
- Visiting hours are from 10:00am – 12:00pm, 2:00pm – 5:00pm, 7:00pm – 8:00pm daily
- Two healthy adult visitors (age 18+) will be permitted to visit.
- No visitor under the age of 18 shall be permitted
- These are subject to change at the discretion of the Nurse Manager, ICU nurse, or physician depending on unforeseen patient care situations that may arise.
Senior Care Unit (Behavioral Health Unit)
- Visitation to our Senior Care Unit is scheduled through the unit Social Worker.
Provider Clinics/Outpatient Procedures
- Two healthy parents or caregivers with a pediatric patient.
- One healthy required medical decision-maker with adult patients.
- One healthy caregiver for patients who are unable to walk or move about without assistance.
Compassionate Care Exceptions
- Some compassionate-care exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis, with approval by the Unit Manager or Primary Care Physician.
- Exceptions may be granted for extenuating circumstances, such as end-of-life care, however, the number of visitors shall be limited.
In all areas, visitation may be limited or visiting hours may change during times of Influenza or other contagious outbreaks.
Find the official document NMRNURPG0037, revised 01/26/2024, here: Visitor Policy 2024